Tuesday, January 9, 2007

To Be Fat Like Me

I just finished watching "Fat Like Me", a Lifetime Original Movie... I don't know how I feel about it. A lot of the movie his close to home: the way society treats those of us who are overweight, and the angst I've had against those who have caused me grief. I'm glad they made this movie... maybe it'll get people to realize prejudice is more than just race or religion.

I don't know what to say about this... There's not much that I have to say, but there is a lot that is going through my mind. It's more like a conglomeration of horrible memories from my childhood; being teased, being made fun of, being treated like shit... It also didn't help that I'm not 100% white. Being this obvious mixture of races just added fuel to the fire.

I was never just the fat kid. I was never just the "Chinese" kid. I was the FAT ASIAN kid that not many people wanted to be around. I wasn't grossly disfigured, nor did I have a flesh-eating disease... I was me. It's just who I happened to be.

I never asked to be fat. I never asked to be Asian. That's just how I was created.